Monday, June 20, 2005

The Unfairness Of Being A Boy

I poked my head around around my son's door, "Why are you still in bed, kiddo? You better get a move on or you'll be late for school!"

My six-year-old peered miserably at me from under the covers. "Momma? I don' feel so good."

I came over and sat on the side of his bed and felt his forehead. It was definitely hot. I looked down at him concerned. "Where do you not feel good, Bri Guy?"

"My head feels weird and my stomach hurts really bad," he said mournfully. He burst into tears. "I think I'm pregnant."

I tried not to laugh, but couldn't stop myself.

"What's so funny?" Brian asked offended. "It HURTS!"

I gave my son a hug, still smiling. "I'm sorry, baby. I know it does. But you're not pregnant. I think you just have a tummy ache and a fever."

My son wrinkled his brow at me. "How do you know I'm not pregnant?"

"Well, for one thing, only girls can get pregnant."

"That's not fair!" Brian said indignantly. "What if I want to have a baby?"

"One day you probably will. You'll fall in love with someone special and the two of you will decide you want to have a child together. " I tried to explain, "It takes both a man and a woman to make a baby. The man plants the baby seed in the woman's body. Then once the baby grows big enough, it comes outside of the mom's body to meet its family."

My son considered this carefully. "I really want to be a dad," he said finally. "I like little kids."

"I know you do." I smoothed back the hair from his forehead. "I'm going to run into the kitchen to get you some water and some medicine. I'll be right back, okay?"

After dutifully taking his Tylenol and sipping some water from a flex straw, Brian lay snuggled into his pillow while I tucked him in.

"You know what, Momma?" he said sleepily.

"What?"

"I've decided that when I get big, I'm going to donate all my toys to charity."

"Wow," I looked down at my son, surprised. "Well that's really generous of you, Brian."

He was quiet for a moment.

"Momma?"

"Hmmm?"

"What does 'donate' mean?"

I laughed. "What do you think it means?"

He thought for a moment. "To give away to somebody?"

"That's right."

We sat together in companionable silence.

"Momma?"

"Yes?"

"I'm not going to be big for a long time, am I?" Brian asked worriedly

"Nope," I kissed his nose. "Not for a very long time."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I was putting on makeup in the bathroom and, as usual, both kids were underfoot. Amber was testing out a lip gloss, and Brian was standing on the toilet watching me line my eyes.

"Momma, when will I get stomach puffs?"

"What?" I was baffled.

"Stomach puffs," he repeated, patiently. "When will I get them?"

Amber stared at her brother. "Did you say 'stomach puffs'?"

"Uhuh. You and momma have them, and I wanted to know when I'm gonna get them."

My daughter and I looked down at our stomachs and then at each other.

"Do you mean 'bellybutton' Brian?" I offered tentatively.

He looked disgusted. "No! I HAVE a bellybutton. I meant STOMACH PUFFS!"

I gave up. "I'm sorry honey, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you show me?"

My son reached up and patted me on the chest. "These."

Amber cracked up laughing. "Those aren't stomach puffs, silly. Those are boobs."

I shook my head, smiling. "Actually they're called breasts, Bri. And it's something that girls get when they start growing into young women."

"Another thing that's just for girls?" Brian was disgusted.

"'Fraid so."

Amber giggled.

24 comments:

Juno said...

Thanks Tom :)

Brian is now almost 18 and insists to this day that he was ruined by being raised in a household of women.

On the positive side, he never leaves the seat up on the toilet!

Queen on the run said...

Juno I can't breathe!!!! Call. 9...1...1....ahhhhh....

Rainypete said...

You girls get all the fun stuff. We just get hairy and smelly. No fair!

Anonymous said...

"Stomach puffs" - Bwahahaha! Happy Solstice Juno! ;)

Traci Dolan said...

I suppose Brian has discovered that breasts weren't just made for women... ;)

jac said...

That was so smooth and easy writing and a terific way to present it.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Okay, Brian, think: Is there something YOU'VE got that the girls don't? Don't be in a hurry; take your time....

Spirit Of Owl said...

Yeah, happy Solstice!

There's only so much we poor young men can take. I still can't work out why women seem to have all the answers... :)

Anonymous said...

Stomach puffs...... LOL

Walker said...

Kids ask the darnest things, and don't we love them more for it.
Innocence is so precious :)

Sleeping Mommy said...

Oh my goodness! That is absolutely classic. I was laughing when my nearly-4-year-old walked in the room. "Mama, what are you laughing at?" I told him about the story I was reading where a mama was checking on her little boy who didn't feel well and thought he was going to have a baby. He started laughing. "Do you know why that is funny?" "Yeah, because the baby is in his tummy!" "Noooo, because only mamas can have babies, and little boys can't be mamas, but they can grow up to be men who can be daddys!" He thought that was hilarious.

Thank you for the smile.

Stomach Puffs!

Lois Lane said...

Awww! He sounds too sweet! I love your new look!
Lois Lane

Rock Wren said...

My five year old daughter came home from school amazed one day after witnessing one of her boy classmates from the back as he relieved himself from a standing position. Her conclusion: he had learned to pee from his belly button. :)

Juno said...

OMG! You mean boys DON'T pee from their belly buttons?!

Jack Steiner said...

I really liked that.

-Kami- said...

OMG those stories are soooo funny. Very good writing BTW. I just loved the "stomach puffs."

Celti said...

stomach puffs. *snicker* that's great.

He'll feel better when he learns how unfair it is to be a girl some day. lol

Anonymous said...

LOL
that was so cuuuute. Between the baby and the stomach puffs I so love those stomach puffs.
From now on I'm calling me stomach puffs. oh yes!

Hopefully your boy doesn't find one of those ahem! things you ahem! use when aunt flow comes to visit ahem.

Fizzy said...

Hiya -I am new here, walker sent me over, he thought I may like your writing... he is soooooo right. My kids are about the same age and I really understand you.... the court case was classic. You have given me many ideas.
Can I link to you?

thtgrl said...

too funny! sorry it's been a while since i've made my rounds here. i love the look since i was here last!

Kat said...

Another great story. Your story telling ability is incredible. You place the reader right there in the bedroom and then the cramped bathroom with you and your kids.....you have the gift.

He's 18 now, does he remember these conversations? These are some great stories to share with your futur grandkids!

se7en said...

LOL, very funny!! hahaha, thanks for the laughs!!

8)

Jade said...

LOL, Now that was good. My now 24 year old son whom is married and has 4 kids now asked me at the age of 8 what sex was and said, "Mom I want all the details", LOL, OH OK, so I explained.. I got "Yucky Mom, I am never doing that." I think he lied. LOL

Jstar718 said...

I almost started to cry from laughing so hard!