Sunday, June 26, 2005

A Magical Evening in My Work Space

I took a leave from my blogging this week to catch up with work and take care of some things around the house. Most of my time is spent writing in this office/bedroom space. Took a few pictures tonight:



My soon-to-be-completed new modular oak desk, designed and built by Rich. I love the furniture he makes--all gorgeous grains and rounded edges. Eventually the old desk on the left will be eliminated, and the new oak desk will continue to cuve gently around to the next wall. He's also adding bottom shelves and keyboard drawers for both computers.



The rest of the room--a quiet and cosy place to work in the evenings. As you can see, I'm addicted to candlelight and books.



Of course I love fairy tales, mythology and all things magical. This funny little toad guards over the paper supplies.



Pan plays his pipes under the Bonsai tree while a baby otter sleeps at his feet. Growing up with Juno for a name naturally made me a huge fan of Greek and Roman mythology. Pan has always been a favorite--especially in his aspect of protector of children and animals.



Morrigu, the Celtic warrior goddess, and a woodsy moon candleholder of copper and Roman glass.



Quan Yin, goddess of compassion.



This beautiful rendition of The Lover's card rests on top of the wardrobe.
Posted by Hello

17 comments:

Queen on the run said...

I want to download myself onto my computer and journey my way through the web to come out in that room! How lovely, how tranquil! What an oasis! I love toads and frogs that little toad is adorable!
I need to create an oasis like that somehow.I have such eclectic tastes it's hard to find stuff that will blend peacefully the way your room their does so beautifully. Spending alot of time in there seems that it would be good for ones soul:)

Vickie said...

What a beautiful place you have created. I can understand why your writing is always so creative the atmosphere is so reflective of such. What a fortunate lady you are.

Jade said...

How tranquil, this is beautiful.. One day I just might have to blog a pic of my meditation room. LOL

OldHorsetailSnake said...

That's beautiful, Juno. Mrs. Thor has been very nice to you.

anne said...

Wow. You're very lucky. Any chance Rich would be willing to come over to France for a while? I need a few items of furniture...

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous room! Very peaceful, calming.. :)

Spirit Of Owl said...

Sheesh. Rich is a bit of a handy dude, huh? LOL His work is great! I can't even glue two peices of wood together and them stay stuck... :{

By the way, normally I'd say that books and candles aren't such a great partnership... LOL but of course it is very beautiful. I'm so jealous! :oP

I have a feeling that despite Pan being the protector it's also him that's giving you the urge to... um... tease the family. ROTFL!

It's a beautiful room, Juno. High praise to Rich. I guess now whenever I read your stuff, I won't be able to help but imagine you sitting and musing right there in the candlelight. In fact, before I come read your blog, I'll light me a little incense stick first, too. :)

Queen on the run said...

TAG!!!!! ( runs away giggling)

MoMo said...

"Cosy" immediately came to mind, even before i read your description. However, I think I'll have to return to take a look later this evening to appreciate it even more.

Fizzy said...

What a lovely and peaceful room .I love the wooden furniture. Lucky you

Anonymous said...

What a nice, warm, cozy creative space! Thanks for that glimpse into your world!
Have a good week!

ghartstein said...

Very nice! He does great work! My wife designs furniture, among many other things. I'd never really appreciated nice stuff unitl she came into my life. In fact she'd be jealous...you see her husband is rather mechanically challenged. The power tools are hers, and I'm man enough to admit it!

Jay said...

That is a lovely workspace - I am so envious! Everything looks so tranquil.

Anonymous said...

You know, I have TONS of books and lots of bookshelves, but for some odd reason I've never thought to put one in my room! Maybe because
I don't 'work' in there. I do read in there however, and I too love candles.
Thanks for sharing your 'cozy' spot.

~K!

Juno said...

Thanks for all the nice comments! It is fairly tranquil--except when the kids come running in with questions or wanting money or a ride.

Then of course there is also the challenge of trying to work with a dog on your lap or a cat on your shoulder.

Psycho, our big black and white kitty has a bad habit of sitting on any piece of paper I set down and refusing to move. All my tech writing stuff ends up with big pawrints all over them and the corners are a bit chewed. Thank god my work is submitted electronically!

And Queenie, darn your eyes! I can't believe you tagged me. so much for that great story I was going to post next. Ahem!

Catch you guys later!

Sleeping Mommy said...

I love your stuff.

Celti said...

wow, you have such a beautiful space. It reflect you. :)