Sunday, June 26, 2005

Fish Tales



“Oh shit!” I leapt forward, frantically trying to stop the fall of the Excedrin bottle before it –-THUD!

Too late.

My husband looked up from the kitchen table where he was talking on the phone. “Hon? You alright?”

I fished the wet Exedrin bottle out and peered into the blue mug worriedly. I was changing the water in the giant vase I use as an aquarium and had scooped our beta fish into a little mug until I could treat the water. Only I couldn’t find the stupid bottle of Start Right.

Instead I had found the Exedrin.

“Oh my god, Rich. I think I killed the fish,” I told him in a panic. “I knocked him out with the Exedrin bottle. He’s not moving!”

I poked my finger in the water. The little guy halfheartedly swished a fin, and I breathed a sigh of relief. “Wait. I think he’s okay. He’s sort of trying to swim now.”

Rich laughed. “You probably just gave the poor thing a headache, but with all the migraine medicine in there he’ll be fine.”

“Very funny,” I said with dignity.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I love betas--they have to be the hardest fish in the world to kill. Several years back my children woke me up early one morning, screaming at the top of their lungs.

“MOM!” Both children were shaking me frantically, grabbing my arms and trying to pull me out of bed. “Mom, he’s DEAD!”

These are not words that any mother particularly wants to hear—particularly at seven in the morning. I leapt out of bed and grabbed my robe, belting it around my waist as I followed them running down the hall.

“Who’s dead? What happened?” I kept asking, beginning to get a bit panicked.

The children skidded to a halt and pointed at the fish bowl on the kitchen table. Somehow it had sprung a leak during the night and the little beta lay brown, shriveled and dried up on the gravel.

Tears streamed down Brian’s face. “He’s KILT!!” he said sobbing.

Amber yanked at my sleeve. “Mom—DO something!” Her voice cracked and she began to cry. “PLEASE! He’s DEAD!”

Two miserable little faces looked up at me as if I could somehow fix this terrible thing. I simply couldn’t take it.

“He CAN’T be dead!” I told them determinedly.

Grabbing a cereal bowl I filled it with tap water and dumped the dead fish into it. Maybe I could trick them into thinking it was just asleep, and then I could replace him with a look-alike later that afternoon.

The children stared into the bowl, then up at me in astonishment.

“He’s alive!” Amber exclaimed excitedly.

Brian’s jaw dropped. “Whoa!”

Perfect. It worked, I thought to myself.

And then I saw it.

Something was moving in the bowl. The fish was definitely alive. I don’t know how or why, but the little bugger had made it.

The children were completely awestruck. Over the next week they were so well-behaved that they started to really get on my nerves. If you think misbehaving children are bad, try being around children who are determined to be angels. It's downright unnatural. Amber finally admitted to me that because I had the kind of power that could raise the dead, they were a little worried about pissing me off by being naughty.

Eventually I was able to convince them that the fish managed his revival act all by himself, and we nicknamed him “Lazarus” in honor of his great comeback.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Back to the current fish that I concussed with the Excedrin bottle. . .

My daughter picked this one out at Walmart when we first came to California about a year ago. Amber spent almost fifteen minutes rejecting all the brilliantly colored red, blue, green and gold betas because, of course, she wanted to choose the one she thought would have the hardest time finding a home. Even at 21, she still has that Charlie Brown Christmas Tree complex.

She handed me the container, and I inspected it doubtfully. “He looks a little sickly and sort of transparent. Wouldn’t you rather have a pretty blue one?” I looked longingly towards a purplish blue one with red fins that sat on the shelf nearby.

My daughter lifted her chin stubbornly. “No. I want this one. Nobody will buy him because he’s not as showy as the others. But he’s tough, aren’t you buddy?”

I cleared my throat. “He’s PINK, Amber! How tough can he be?”

“He IS tough, aren’t you Spike?”

“Spike?!” I repeated in disbelief. “You’re kidding, right?”

“Nope.”

“Oh come on! It makes him sound like a gay biker fish.”

“Well it’s a heck of a lot better than what you named our last one!” Amber looked at me pointedly.

“It was a perfectly good Irish name,” I replied defensively.

“Fillet O’Fish?” Amber shook her head. “It’s wrong mom. It’s just wrong.”

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Anyway, I finally did find the bottle of Start Right tonight and managed to rescue Spike from his mug before a cat lapped him up or a human tossed him into the dishwasher by accident. As you can see he is very content.

Maybe Amber was right, and he is a tough guy after all. Even if he IS pink.
Posted by Hello

29 comments:

anne said...

My fish died a few months ago. Why weren't you here then? Why?

Rainypete said...

Sounds like Spike would get along with my purple guy Spot!

They are absolutely beautiful fish with a severe antisocial bent. I can't resist holding ashving mirror up to Spot's bowl periodically, just to watch him puff up like a polititcian during a campaign.

jac said...

This is Juno's magical writing with children as spices, I love it Juno. Hats off !!!

Lois Lane said...

I hope after all of that, yours and Filet's heads feels much better. ;)
Lois Lane

OldHorsetailSnake said...

"Charlie Brown Christmas Tree Complex." Good one, Juno, that's sharp.

You are an excellent story-teller. Thanks a bunch.

Sleeping Mommy said...

They ARE hard to kill. I thought I had killed ours and even bought a replacement because I was convinced the other would be dead by morning. Nope. I ended up having to go get another tank. We now have two betas one red one blue in tanks side by side on top of book shelf.

katehopeeden said...

I have a Beta on my desk at work. He is like three years old. His name is Bruce and I LOVE him so much. He is losing his coloring though and has exceeded the life expectancy for a Beta and I worry I will come to work one morning and he will be gone.
I need to get a picture of him up on my site.
~K

Anonymous said...

"you make him sound like a gay biker fish"

hahahah, gawd, that was funny.
He is beautiful by the way, and esp his home!! LOve it

~K!

Juno said...

Hi folks, thanks for the comments.

Ummm. . . as for the gay biker fish thing . . . I offered to put a little closet in the fishbowl for him to swim in and out of, but Amber just growled at me.

I do like that vase set up. Inside are golden glass marbles, a giant quartz crystal and some plants. The metal base is a plant stand that I set up with some black art foam and a night light, which is what gives the glow to the crystal and marbles. The vase itself is about 2 to 2 1/2 feet tall maybe?

Anonymous said...

I've never had any fish that lived more than 1 week...bleah!
I'm so bad with pets :(

Queen on the run said...

I don't know what i like more, the way cool vase, or the pink fish named spike!
I just have to say that we have also had a fish come back to life. A beautiful silver beta named fred. He jumped out of the fruit bowl I had him in and laid on the counter for like three days before anyone realized he wasn't in there. I looked around and found him behind another jar. Dried, shriveled and unmoving. I tossed him in the fishbowl because i had heard about betas being able to breathe out of water. Or something to that affect anyway. Sure enough ten minutes later that dude was swimmin round his bowl again. He was named come again after that. my cat draegan almost ate come again once.Pretty funny when a fish kicks a cats butt, it falls off the counter and breaks its leg.Poor Dreagan he never looked at fish the same way again.ramble ramble sorry..

MoMo said...

When I first saw the fish tank photo I thought it was one of those humungous tanks one sees in restaurants and the like, with a myriad of fish swimming around it. After you mentioned the vase I looked again, and noticed the perspective given by the electric socket. I like it way better that way!

jac said...

Juno
You don't move around anymore.

Spirit Of Owl said...

Wonderful story telling, Juno. :)

Sounds like that fish could easily handle marauding cats, by the way. I suspect they'd be lucky to get away with their lives intact. ;D

Anonymous said...

Wait... is that a huge mirror behind the tank? Can't stop laughing!

My parents had an eel that would jump out of the tank. Well, one winter morning, that stupid thing took it's last leap. It landed on the heater and cooked itself. I don't think it could've come back from that one! LOL

Jamie said...

Your hilarious! So are your kids. Glad Spike made it another day...

-Kami- said...

OMG lol that's hilarious. One time when I was changing my beta's water, he jumped out of the temporary bowl I placed him in. He was out of the water for a good 20 minutes and so DRY that is was obvious he was dead. My husband insisted on me putting him back in the water and SURE enough, he was swimming around like normal. They are INCREDIBLY tough!

Cylithria Dubois said...

Juno, I adore your blog. It's brilliantly designed and your writing is so wonderfully heartfelt!!! I'll be bookmarking you because I am doing a challenge by the Complimenting Complimentor. I am finding 100 blogs to give compliments to during this summer.

When I have met my goal I'll be posting those blogs in a Grand Finale post! Hope you don't mind!!!


Once agin I do adore your blog....it feels so wonderful!!

Chaotic Serenity said...

Oh no! When my beta died I didn't try to revive him. I thought dead was dead and flushed him! Now I'm feeling so guilty. I wonder if I had put him back in the water if he might have revived? Maybe he wasn't dead just sleeping? LOL

Oh well, at least if the cats knock my other beta, Wilson (kids thought that name was better than Errol Fin or Huck Fin)I'll know to put him back in the bowl and see what happens! LOL

se7en said...

hehe, fun story! poor Spike and what a name LOL

I'm glad he's ok!

;)

Jstar718 said...

I gotta say I really liked these ones!

Anonymous said...

You shall be henceforth know as Fish Whisperer :lol:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Has anyone seen the lady of the house lately?

Traci Dolan said...

I think I love your daughter. What a spirit!! And I think Filet O'Fish is a very clevah name for a fishy.

Lois Lane said...

Okay, you can come back now. You are officially missed. :)
Hope you had a happy 4th!
Lois Lane

ghartstein said...

As usually Juno, wonderful! I'm about to go buy a couple of goldfish for a new pond we set up, and I'll be thinking of your fish tales the whole time there! Thanks for an entertaining story & beautiful story telling!

thtgrl said...

We've always had Betas. My son named one Nick and one Ribbit. They've both died since, but he's been bugging me to get a new one. I might need to get a real tank instead of trying to change the bowl all of the time. If I do, I'll need to watch the Excedrin when I'm nearby!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

What I like about you is that you don't post just to be posting. But surely SOMETHING has happened since late June...

kenju said...

I was visiting at my son and daughter-in-law's home when their betta jumped out of the fishbowl and landed on the kitchen floor. At least an hour later, we found him lying very still.

My daughter-in-law scooped him up and placed him back in the fish bowl and after about 5 minutes, he began to swim around again. We were amazed, but maybe it is a characteristic of the breed?