Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Don't Mess With Miss Kitty!



I think it is a very bad idea for parents to give weird nicknames to things.

I really do. It's just way too confusing for a child and can necessitate years of therapy when they reach adulthood.

My sister and I grew up in the south with an aunt who would go to extreme lengths to avoid calling certain intimate things by their correct name. If you were a lady, it just wasn't done. Since my sister and I were so sheltered, we naturally never thought to question this until many years later.

Case in Point: For some reason we still don't quite understand, our aunt used to refer to a woman's private area as a "posse".

I cannot begin to tell you how disturbing it was for us to watch those old spaghetti westerns on TV. When the sheriff would tell a group of grizzled cowboys to "round up a posse" to help him catch the bad guys, Iris and I would watch with saucer eyes. You can imagine what we thought was going to come hopping around the corner of the local saloon!

We were firmly convinced that Miss Kitty was the most powerful person on Gunsmoke.

Therapy. Years of therapy.

Posted by Hello

11 comments:

Spirit Of Owl said...

Bwuaahaha! I'll never be able to think of John Wayne gathering up a motley posse the same way again!

Juno said...

kathrynhowlswithwolves - ick!

leeontheroad - That she was, my friend, that she was!

Spirit of Owl - me either!

Robin said...

Hahahahaha! Great visual!

jac said...

Hilarious is the word.

MoMo said...

I just hope the posse weren't riding bareback!

jon said...

My girls have some how started referring to a male private area as a 'noodle'. I don't know where they got it. I love your writing.

Queen on the run said...

I love it!
For us that particular part is a coochie. Male parts are wizzers.
When my youngest was three she thought it was wizard. So the wizard of oz gave her some wrong ideas! Took me three years to straighten that out:):):)

Juno said...

I'm telling you guys, you really do have to be careful what you call stuff!

I already know enough men who are very proud of their "great and powerful Oz"

Kat said...

Let's see....vagina was possible, lipstick hoo-hoo, perfume phoo-phoo, face was puss (shocked the hell out of me when my fundamentalist mother told me one day that I had mascara on my puss! I'd never heard the face referred to as a puss....that meant something totally different in my world!) oh! and tits? yeah....tooties.

There isn't enough therapy on the planet to unscrew my head!

se7en said...

LOL, Gunsmoke!! haha that's prolly why my dad loves watching the reruns, just to hear them say the word "posse" LOL i used to love the show myself years ago!


8)

Celti said...

*snicker*

Yes, be very nice to miss Kitty. She was and IS omnipotent.

So...should I be concerned about my son calling his penis "willy"?