Wednesday, May 25, 2005
Moon Kisses
"I wish you would change your pagan ways and marry me."

Victor lay beside me in bed, his tall lean body draped carelessly by the white sheets.

I laughed. "If I changed my 'pagan ways' I wouldn't be me, now would I?"

He sighed, running his fingers through my red hair. "I mean it Juno. I'll be finished with the seminary soon. Greek Orthodox priests are allowed to be married, and it would be good for me to have a wife who could help me in my work. "

Victor had recently left his job of many years in city government to become a seminary student. We had been friends for a long time and used to have long debates on history, philosophy and religion, gleefully playing devil's advocate with each other. Then one night he brought over a bottle of Grand Mariner and . . . well . . . let's just say that the relationship took an interesting turn.


I had never been naughty with a man who was about to be a priest before, and my 'pagan ways,' as he put it, made me forbidden territory to him. The sex was intense.

I made a face at him. "I would make a terrible pastor's wife, and you know it. I'd turn them all into a bunch of Gnostics."

A breeze blew in from the window, and we watched as the sheer white curtains transformed into dancing ghosts.

"Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong century," Victor said thoughtfully. "I might have been a monk, working on illuminating a religious manuscript in some old abbey."

"What would I have been?" I wondered.

"You," he sniffed disapprovingly, "would have been one of those poor peasants who kissed their hand to the moon."

I lifted my hand and blew a kiss.

He shook his head. "Not like that. They used to kiss the back of their hand like this while they reached for the moon at the same time."

I sat up, fascinated. "That's beautiful!"

"What?" Victor looked startled. His history lesson was not going as planned.

"That's beautiful. There's a passion and sweetness and a kind of longing to it. It's sort of like making love to the moon, reaching to pull it close and kiss it at the same time."


He groaned. "Here we go!"

I ignored him. I had returned to my first love.

I gently kissed the back of my hand and reached out to the full moon.
Memories and musings shared by Juno
9 Cared to comment... Thank you!

I'm a 40-something writer, artist, and Jill-of-All-Trades. For me, magic is looking at the ordinary and seeing the extraordinary. My writing tends to take me to unexpected places--not so surprising when I think about it. I had an unusual growing up and have always chosen the offbeat over the "safe". I prefer interesting people over beautiful ones, and I am fascinated by people's stories. What I love most about life is its glorious imperfections and fantastic plot twists.

My complete profile

Want to share your thoughts
with me?

E-mail me here

View a collection of my
photos here!

Brian & guitar
Amber & Jon wedding

My artwork - Prismacolor pencil portraits

View my portraits & illustrations here




Audio clips coming soon!

Subscribe to My Feed




Site Design By:



Powered by Blogger



Who Links Here