Sunday, May 29, 2005

The Favorite



A roar erupted from the hall. "I'm going to KILL that dog!"

A small furry figure suddenly dashed into my room and ran under the bed.

My 17-year old son came storming in, his older sister close behind. "WHERE IS SHE?"

I looked up innocently from my computer chair. "I have no idea. What's wrong?"

"She POOPED in my room!" Brian yelled, his face turning an unhealthy shade of red.

"She did NOT!" Amber jumped in defensively. "You don't know that! You didn't see her do it."

Brian looked increduously at his sister. "Who else would it have been?"

Amber crossed her arms over her chest and lifted her chin. "Maybe it was me."

Brian stared at her. "You pooped in my room?"

"Maybe. Or maybe it was one of the cats. Or Mom."

Now there was a thought.

A tiny snout poked out from under the dust ruffle, and I casually nudged it back under the bed.

I tried a diplomatic approach. "Brian, did you actually see Reyna poop in your room?"

"NO I didn't actually see her, but --"

"So," I continued smoothly, "basically what we've established here is that we have a stealth pooper."

"Mom!! You know that dog hates me."

"She doesn't hate you."

A little growl came from under the bed, and my son looked around wildly.

"She doesn't poop in anyone else's room. You probably did something to her!" Amber looked at her brother accusingly. "THAT's why she doesn't like you!"

"I DID NOT!" Brian yelled. "She just hates me!"

"Just calm down," I said soothingly. "The point it is you just don't know for sure. Like your sister said, it could have been anybody--Tiggy, for example"

Startled, the cat looked up from where she was cleaning herself in the corner.

Tiggy is my husband's Bengal Tiger cat. She was in heat and had spent the past three nights yowling under our bed. I had no compunction whatsoever about framing this one on her. Besides, Brian would never be able to catch her anyway.

My son shot me a look. "It wasn't Tiggy. She's been in here all day."

Oh well. It had been worth a try.

"I tell you what," I offered. "I promise that if you catch Reyna in the act, I'll punish her, okay? But, for right now, let's just clean up the poop and see if it happens again."

Brian gave up in complete frustration. His shoulders slumped forward as he looked from his sister to me. "She's going to do it again. You know she will," he muttered.

I grabbed a plastic bag and removed the offending pellets from my son's room. A little disinfectant and some apple cinnamon spray foam later, and the room smelled fresh.

"See?" I said brightly. "Good as new."

Amber sniffed. "Actually it smells better than Brian's room usually does."

"Shut UP!" My son shoved his sister out the door, closing it behind her. "And keep that stupid dog out of here."

I walked back into my room. Reyna was sitting in my computer chair waiting for me. She cocked her head at me.


"I just saved your butt, you know." I told her.

Reyna wagged her tail and rolled over for me to pet her stomach.

She'd always known she was my favorite.

Reyna is half teacup poodle and half chihuahua, and so unusual looking that people frequently don't know WHAT sort of animal she is. Only about seven inches tall and four pounds soaking wet, she's even smaller than our cats. And yes, she is full grown.

More Reyna pictures will be posted to my photo album soon!


Posted by Hello

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

She needs a *buffledog* to play with - she be too tired to *stealth poop*! ;)

Juno said...

She would love your buffledogs! Reyna likes big dogs much better than small ones. In her mind she's the size of a small horse.

BTW, any of you who haven't yet met Seamus's buffledogs should drop by his site for a look!

Spirit Of Owl said...

I'm surprised you can even see the poop from that dog! Man, it can hardly be a drain on the budget for dog-food, either. LOL. She's a cutie, but I'd be sooo scared she might get trodden on... like, by a slightly careless passing mouse. ;-}

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Now THAT's a great dog.

Lois Lane said...

She is so tiny! Pellets, huh?! Too funny. I added you to my Flickr, hope you don't mind.
Lois Lane

Robin said...

This scene could've taken place at my house except it would have been my husband doing the chasing and there is no kitty to pin the blame on! :)

Queen on the run said...

Reyna is soooo cute!!! Clever little pup ain't she:)
She knew exactly where to go to seek protection. I would like to see a pic of your husbands Bengal Tiger Cat;)

Juno said...

Yep--she's a tiny one. Her poop is really more like a rabbit pellet.

Queenie, there's a picture of Tiggy in my photo album listed over in the right column of my blog or you can see her by going here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/junokughler/sets/392462/

Queen on the run said...

I just have to say I love your blog title.. ;)

Peanutt said...

Adorable tiny, tiny dog!!! I'd love to have one, but with two boys they'd probably step on it by accident, heck, I'd probably step on it by accident! But the pup is cute!!!!

Anonymous said...

A dog taking a squeege is a sign from God.

Jamie said...

That is the most adorable dog! And the story was pretty cute too!

Juno said...

I had to laugh at lightening bug's butt's comment.

Some friends and I were sitting in a circle on the living room floor. One of the women was talking about how unhappy she was with her life and proceeded to list numerous reasons why she couldn't get herself out of the rut.

My best friend's terrier, a well behaved creature with normally wonderful manners, walked deliberately up to the woman and proceeded to leave a steaming pile of poop right beside her.

While the woman sat dumbstruck in horror, we rolled on the floor laughing till we cried. We all agreed it truely was a sign from the gods, and that our poor friend excuses were so much B.S.

Juno said...

My philosophy exactly! It IS all about "living and eating and jumping around in trees and getting into garbage." LOL

Watch out for those bear masquerading racoons!

Jade said...

Juno, Thanks for coming by my blog.. I like yours. and nice to see another Pagan from NY. What part? hope ya don't mind I am gonna link ya OK.. the poor puppy.. he just wants to be loved, lol