Saturday, August 27, 2005

Why Children Should Not Be Movie Reviewers



Victor and I sat at the kitchen table talking and sipping tea, when Brian trotted into the room. To Victor's amusement, my son climbed up into his lap and helped himself to a cookie.

"Whatcha talking 'bout?" he asked, his mouth full of chocolate chips.

"Chew with your mouth closed," I told him automatically.

Brian looked baffled. "It IS closed. But I have to open it when I talk."

"Well, swallow your food first and THEN talk."

My son shot me one of his grownups-are-weird looks and swallowed. He took another bite of cookie. "So whatcha talking 'bout?"

Victor laughed.

I gave up. "Movies. We're talking about movies we've seen."

"Momma got me a movie the other day about Robin Hood."

"Did you like it?" Victor asked.

Brian nodded.

"Well, what was it about?"

"It was about this guy who wants to go to Texas."

Victor and I exchanged puzzled looks.

"Honey, you must be thinking of a different movie," I told him.

Brian shook his head indignantly. "No I'm not! It was about this sheriff who wants to go to Texas and Robin Hood won't let 'em."

"Maybe he's mixing up two different movies?" Victor suggested.

Brian looked from one to the other of us, completely exasperated. "I am NOT mixing up movies. Don't you remember, Momma? The sheriff kept riding through the towns saying 'Texas, Texas. I need money for Texas.' But then every time he got some money for the trip, Robin Hood took it away from him so he never got to go."

Dumbfounded, I stared at my son then started to laugh. Victor just howled. Brian watched us as though we'd lost our minds. "What's so funny?"

Victor wiped his eyes. "You know, it's actually a whole other movie when you look at it that way."

I gasped for breath. "Sort of makes you feel bad for the poor sherriff."

Brian nodded sagely. "Yes. Nobody else liked Texas very much."

It was quite some time before Victor and I were able to speak again.
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Well, heck, I drove my Chevy to the levy but the Texases weren't due yet.

(That's a dandy boy you got there.)

Colleen said...

That is an awesome story thank you for stoppin in at my blog and leaveing a wonderul comment. I hope you stop back I added you to my favorites.

Lorna said...

I am so glad you're back! Just got caught up and am overwhelmed, so no real comment....

Queen on the run said...

I have missed these stories so much. I am so sorry to hear of your doggie. I cried so hard when I read that post...Glad to hear you got a new little angel to lavish love upon.

Phyllis said...

HAHAHAHA that is CUTE!!
Out of the mouth of babes...

HawkOwl said...

That's hilarious... I hope my kids turn out as cool as yours! Sorry to hear about your dog. I had to take my four cats to the SPCA two years ago when I lost my home, and I still feel guilty and think of them every day. Thanks for visiting my blog, too, it's good to know there are readers out there.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I touted your site to a good Michigan friend of mine, Vicki Bennett. So she has linked you. So in case you haven't, go see her at www.outsidein.typepad.com She's a good writer, like you.

Anonymous said...

That was hilarious!!
I am really enjoying your site tonight, you've got so many interesting stories!

Julie D. said...

Now I realize how cruel Robin Hood really was, to keep the sheriff from going to paradise (aka Texas) ... what a scoundrel.

Anonymous said...

I'd say they still don't like Texas! ;)

Traci Dolan said...

I love how kids put their own twist on things. I'm so sorry about Reyna but congratulations on opening your home to another needy animal. Phoebe is darling!

Vickie said...

I say I still don't like either Texas or taxes....I just love coming here, you will never know just how much I missed you while you were away. Thank you for adding so much to the blog world today Juno.

jac said...

To think of Robinhood being a scoundrel ??? like Alibaba being a thief or not a thief.

Chaotic Serenity said...

LOL...kids perceptions are so cute! I loved this story!

Anonymous said...

lol Texas...oh my god that was hilarious!

Hey, it never occurred to me of thinking about the robin hood story on that way. Brilliant!

Michael said...

The only thing sure in life is death and Texas.

All my exes live in taxes.

--Michael
http://makeminemike.blogspot.com