Monday, September 05, 2005

Why Moms Hate to Shop with Kids


I pulled back the dressing room curtain. "You don't happen to have these jeans with a 34" inseam do you?" I asked hopefully.

The attendant shook her head. "No, I'm sorry. The longest we carry is 32."

I sighed. "Figures."

I hate shopping for clothes. I'm so unproportioned. My legs end where most girls' waists begin.

My son cocked his head, considering. "Those look nice mom."

I looked ruefully at my ankles. "If I wanted to go puddle-jumping maybe."

He giggled.

"Be right back." I disappeared into the dressing room.

Brian sat down on the bench outside the door, swinging his legs.

"I bet if you had beds in these dressing rooms, you'd sell a lot more jeans," he told the attendant.

The woman looked puzzled. "Why?"

Brian shrugged. "So people can lie down to zip up their pants. That's what my mom does."

"Brian!" I growled warningly from behind the curtain.

"She's not my real mother, you know" he continued conversationally.

"Really." The clerk smiled at him.

"Nope. She's not. My real mother is Tina. She's the queen of Mars, and she only wears purple polka dot dresses."

"Is that a fact?"

Brian nodded. He leaned forward confidentially. "You see there was a big war on Mars so my mom sent me to Earth in a rocketship to protect me. She's going to send for me later."

"I see." The woman sounded amused.

"Wanna see the scar on my chin from when I fell down and cut it open? The doctor had to use six stitches."

"Wow! Did it hurt a lot?"

"Yeah. My mom and my sister had to sit on me to hold me down so the doctor could sew it up. It's okay now though."

"Well, I'm glad it's all better," said the clerk kindly.

"Me too. I don't like hospitals much. Mom almost had to take her best friend to the rug burn unit last night--"

I threw back the curtain and grabbed my son firmly by the hand.

"Out. Now."

Brian grinned up at me and waved goodbye to the attendant.

"That's quite a boy you have there," she said , smiling.

"Yeah," I told her grimly. "I get that a lot."

14 comments:

Hale McKay said...

LOL - that was a riot. Quite a kid you got there. Yeah, I know, you've told that a lot lately.
...Rug burn unit!!!! ROFLMAO.
Wonderful post.

Vickie said...

You do have the stories for us, can you imagine if Brian's kids are a chip off the old block just what he is in for? I know you are just waiting to see it.... Keep these great post coming, please.

MoMo said...

How old is he now? Ready for a quiet slap?

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I bet you love your kids as much as we do, though.

jac said...

Juno ! I think Brian will beat you in writing if you give him the chance, not I think, I am sure. Wana make a bet ?

Jammie J. said...

Now that is a creative way to get you out of the dressing room. Heh.

Livemalls said...

My brother and I used to torment our mom like that too.

Jay said...

Well, it's free entertainment, if you can get over the humiliation part.

Anonymous said...

Bwahahahahaha! "rug-burn unit"!!!
Just think, three more and you'll have a whole season for a sit-com!

Anonymous said...

What can I say...kids are angels...but not so when they open their mouths.

Oh my they should be recruited somewhere nobody can hear their nonsense....Bwahahha...that was hilarious though

ghartstein said...

The Rug Burn Unit...classic!!

saurav said...

so funny....i love humour....keep it up....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenn said...

Funny! Does your son know my daughter? They appear to have the same temperment.