Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A Magical Childhood

A photo collage collection for my sister Iris, who still remembers. . .



Strange things happen to children who lose their mother at an early age.

They gain the gift of magic.

Any fairy tale will back me up on this. Look at Cinderella, Snow White, Vassalisa, or even the Goose Girl. It was the magic left to them by their mothers that allowed them to overcome the horrors and adversity they faced in their lives. It was the magic that protected them until they could unfold into the strong and graceful women they truly were.

So when our mother died, it was only natural that the magic would come to my sister and I.

We never had to think about it really. We just knew.

And the magic was never stronger than when we shared our dreams . . .



Each night the snowy owl would appear at our window, ready to take us to the in-between world, the place where "let's pretend" becomes reality. . .



We ran with the wild ponies in sunlight meadows, strong and untamed . . .



We searched for frog princes and played with the fairy folk in the woods. . .



We sang mermaid songs and hid among the water lilies, splashing in the cool water of our secret garden. . .



We made a nest out of ivy, and spent a lazy afternoon nibbling on acorns and sipping honeysuckle blossoms. . .



We chased fireflies in the twilight and danced with the mysterious King of Cats. . .



We called on the Greek gods and they answered. They kissed us, cuddled us, and delighted in our wild games . . .



We looked for the Mother in all her forms and dreamed of one day becoming Queen of the May . . .



The whistle of the trains tugged at our imaginations. We whispered our secret plan to become hobos, hopping boxcars from one town to the next. . .



To combat the scary times, we created friends to come rescue us. Jane and the hippies would appear, laughing, to gather us up and take us on a new adventure. . .


. Posted by Picasa

46 comments:

anne said...

Very moving and beautiful. You're very lucky to have each other.

Jade said...

Are fairey tales just that? a tale? what you mention above is more then that. I am glad you had your sister. these are things I know well.. May the Goddess keep us all embraced within her Maick always..

Anonymous said...

Your story is bittersweet and beautiful, probably much like your life. Know that your mother is looking down on you, blessing you with her magic. Bless you.

Colleen said...

Love the last photo witht he VW bus.

Vickie said...

A story so full of emotions the loudest one is love which you show us so often in your many post over and over. You might have lost your mom but never the love for her or of her. You often share about your sister so that love is very strong. You my friend surrounds yourself with love and write about and fairey tales reflect our love as children. Thank you for sharing once again with us. I miss you when you are away for a few days.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Fantastic pictures.

Chaotic Serenity said...

What a beautiful imagination you and your sister have! It's so moving and I absolutely loved this! Thanks :)

ghartstein said...

That was really sweet. And I loved the picture of the VW bus...makes me want to c'mon and get happy!

thtgrl said...

such a wonderful, well laid out, post! i love it.

Traci Dolan said...

Just Beautiful!

Juno said...

Glad you folks like the photos. Iris and I don't have many pictures from those days, so I created these as a birthday gift for my sis.

I've been a little quiet online because Rich and I have had the West Nile virus (I broke out in spots from it!, so we've both been a bit wiped out.

Thanks as always for your kind words and I'll be posting very shortly.

(The VW bus thing IS funny, isn't it? When I pasted us in front of it, I thought of the Partridge Family!)

Anonymous said...

That was a fun romp through a magical childhood! Love the last photo!
West Nile???? Akkkkk! Hope you guys feel better!

Celti said...

awesome post and pics! Very, very nice.

Anonymous said...

I just love the pics they're so good

Spirit Of Owl said...

Lovely post, Juno. It clearly was, is, something special between you and your sister. :)

jac said...

Wonderful Juno ! Your style is amazing...my jealousy increases, but it is friendly. :)

Anonymous said...

Juno- this one is so very close to my heart. I remember talking to the Socrates and Persephone stautes in a park near my home. You are an amazing writer, truly gifted. Your gift of words is beautiful, your stories leap off of the page and dance across my living room.

-carol

Phyllis said...

great post!
I was falling into your fantasy!
My mom was 5 when she lost her mother, and would tell me how she would look at the billowy clouds and imagine her face up there. She was always searching for her as a child. Rather sad to me.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I have been here every day since Sept. 14. It is now Sept. 25. Loosen up, kid.

Jade said...

Juno, I hope your feeling better soon...sending some healing energies your way hun..HUGGZ

jac said...

Where are you Juno ?

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Not to complain or anything, but do you realize you haven't flipped your calendar to October yet?

Gretchen said...

Thank you for sharing your memories and beautiful photo collages! They made me cry, and then I had to call my sister!

Hope you and yours are feeling better!

Vickie said...

Just stopped by to let you know how much you are missed here, take care of you and hope you return to us soon.

ghartstein said...

Just saw your West Nile comment....sorry to hear that! Hope you're both better soon! All the best...

Spirit Of Owl said...

Hope you're all doing well, and had a great Christmas. Happy New Year, have great success in whatever you're doing, and all the best for 2006.

X

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Juno said...

Deleted comments were the result of spam. Thank you for your posts!

Graphiterie said...

Hi Juno,
it was wonderful to read, a bittersweet and touching writing. I am very glad and feel very honored that we got to know each other.

Bug hug, Martina

Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Wow!

I can see that you and your sister are special people.

Belle said...

The most beautiful blog I have seen. Thank you for sharing.

Yertunts said...

what a lovely pic