Sunday, September 04, 2005

Dating and The Single Mom

Dating is more involved when you're a single mom. You tend to be a lot more cautious and very selective about whom you bring into your family circle. Then, of course, the man has have the patience and humor to survive the pre-date child interview:


"So," Brian said seriously. "You want to take out our mom?"

"Yes," Paul looked amused. "I thought I'd take her out to dinner tonight if that's okay with you."

"Where are you taking her?" Amber asked.

"Sweet Baba's--it's a gourmet pizza restaurant that just opened."

"Well she does like pizza," Brian offered helpfully. "But I think she likes Chucky Cheese better. They have games and stuff too. Only last time we were there she got stuck in the ball tent and the people had to pull her out."

"That's cause you were hiding under the balls, and she got worried," Amber told her brother. "She was scared you couldn't breathe."

Paul laughed.

"Can you cook?" Brian asked curiously.

"I can cook a little. I make great hamburgers, and I've been known to make some killer chocolate chip cookies."

"Mom doesn't cook very well," Amber confided. "Sometimes when we go to parties she buys cookies or cake from the store and wraps them in aluminum foil and pretends she baked them."

Brian made a face. "Yeah. And she's always trying to make us eat healthy stuff like whole wheat bread or Toe Food."

"It's not Toe Food. It's tofu."

"Whatever. It's gross."

They sat quietly for a minute.

"Do you think our mom's pretty?" Amber asked.

"I think she's very pretty."

"She gets weird about that sometimes. Thinking she's fat and all. She's already changed dresses three times tonight."

"Yes," Brian nodded wisely. "She didn't like the blue one because she said it made her look lopsided."

"Brian!"

"Well she did!"

Amber shook her head. "Mom's going to kill you," Amber told her brother. "You know that right?"



. Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

anne said...

It's nice to have the support of your kids...
...
...

Anonymous said...

Bwahahahahaha! First the business card and now the interview!!!

...and you...er...they survived!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

I thought the people in charge of the inquisition were supposed to GET information, not GIVE it. Well, in any case, they were right about you being pretty. Lopsided, I can't vouch for.

Juno said...

anne - is that what you call it? ;)

seamus - those were dangerous times!

hoss - yeah. I never understood why they felt they had to warn people about me. And I guess that way back in 93 I wasn't so hard on the eyes. Ah to be young again!

jac said...

Wow ! My pouch is empty and I have no comment.
Well, If at all I happen comment...I suppose you won't believe it also.
:)

Lois Lane said...

LOL! Great post! Very funny too! Here's to hoping you don't kill the kids for their little slip ups, and to finding a guy who isn't afraid of ecstasy or intimacy.
Lois Lane

Hale McKay said...

LOl - too funny. I'm hooked. I'll be back and back and back...Hope you don't mind if i link you at my site.

Hale McKay said...

And by the way, I agree with Hoss. You are very pretty.

Vickie said...

You are such a great writer and have such neat kids...oh I forgot to say you are also a very attractive lady too. No wonder you have gone so far in life....you have what it takes and I.m glad I know you in this cyber world.

Jammie J. said...

LOL at Toe Food. I'm gonna have to remember that. My mom is always after me to eat more Toe Food. *snickering*

Sandy said...

Kids say the darndest things!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.